Less than 5% of the job ads highlight inclusion in their description. None of them mentions neurodiversity.
In our research on ADHD and job application process, we have found several interesting insights from job seekers and recruiters:
- Job seekers are reluctant to share their conditions and challenges, fearing they may face stigma and discrimination.
- Recruiters are willing to adjust their processes to accommodate different needs from job seekers. However, if a job seeker does not share his or her needs, it is nearly impossible for a recruiter to know.
We conducted a quick screen of 29 109 job ads listed on arbeidsplassen.no, one of the job platforms in Norway. 25% of them mention diversity in their descriptions, less than 5% mention inclusion and none mentions neurodiversity. We screened another major Norwegian job platform and the results were similar.
Building an inclusive application process
To address these challenges, a collaborative effort is required from both job seekers and employers. Here are a few strategies that can help bridge the gap:
- Educating employees: Companies could foster a culture of inclusivity and provide training programs to recruiters and employees about neurodiversity. By raising awareness, dispelling myths, and promoting understanding, companies can actively combat biases and discrimination.
- Encouraging voluntary disclosure: Creating a supportive environment where neurodivergent individuals feel comfortable disclosing their challenges voluntarily is crucial. Companies must assure applicants that disclosure will not negatively impact their chances of being considered for a position, while emphasizing the benefits of disclosure in terms of tailored accommodations.
- Flexible application processes: Companies should consider diversifying their application processes to accommodate different learning styles and abilities. This could involve providing alternatives to traditional cognitive tests, such as skills assessments or project-based evaluations, which allow candidates to demonstrate their abilities more effectively.
- Collaboration and feedback: Establishing open channels of communication between job seekers and employers can help create a more collaborative environment. Regular feedback and dialogues enable employers to understand the challenges faced by neurodivergent individuals and make necessary adjustments to improve the application process.
#diversity #inclusion #recruitment #jobapplication #adhd #neurodiversity